Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Paradise Lost

I'm coming to the conclusion that I am too grown-up. I have lost my sense of awe, wonder, and adventure, curiosity, courage, and innocence. I see this in my daily personal life. I see it specifically applied as I attempt to live my life as a follower of Jesus. I don't want to be a cold calculated Christian. I want to be a Christian that gets lost in the sheer wonder of the grace of God. I want to marvel at the simple things in life--the blooming of a flower, the beauty of a smile, and the joy of laughter. These are the gifts of God; given to us so that we might enjoy them, and so that we might know God better. (So that we might know God; not know about God.) My move into adulthood seems in some sense to mirror the fall. It does so in that I have lost my childlikeness and replaced it with facts and stastics--I have lost my innocence and replaced it with the knowledge of good and evil. I pray that just as God is redeeming his creation, he will likewise redeem my personality and character, restoring my childlikeness.

No comments: